Spring Vegetable Soup with Scallion and Dill-Flecked Matzo Balls
- 3 Tbs unsalted pareve kosher-for-Passover margarine
- 3 scallions
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbs fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup unsalted matzo meal
- 1 Tbs minced fresh dill
- canola oil cooking spray
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow crookneck squash, diced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 Tbs fresh dill, chopped
For the matzo balls:
1.Melt margarine in a heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Cool.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Mix in scallion mixture, matzo meal, and dill. Cover and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Using moistened palms, roll rounded teaspoonfuls of matzo mixture into small balls. Place on prepared baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop matzo balls into boiling water. Cover and boil until matzo balls are tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer matzo balls to a large plate. (May be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered, and chilled.)
For the soup:
1. Lightly coat a large heavy soup pot with cooking spray. Add carrots, broccoli, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, red onion, and garlic.
2. Sauté until vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add broth, tomatoes with their juice, sugar snap peas, and dill. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. (May be made ahead, covered, and chilled for up to 1 day. Reheat to simmer before continuing.)
4. Add matzo balls to the soup and continue to cook until heated through. Soup will be thick.
5. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
Per serving: 161 calories (31% calories from fat), 8 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 53 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 3 vegetable), 1 fat