Hearty Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¾ lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup nonfat, plain yogurt, plus additional for garnish
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbs chopped, fresh chives
1. Place the ginger and wine in a small pot. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and steep while you prepare the soup.
2. In a large pot, cook the onions, celery, and garlic in 1/2 cup of the stock until the onion is wilted.
3. Add the remaining stock and squash and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the squash is tender adding more stock or water as needed.
4. Using a food processor or blender, puree squash mixture until smooth. If using a food processor do this in batches so the machine does not overflow.
5. Whisk in the yogurt and milk.
6. Drain the wine and discard the ginger. Add the wine to the soup.
7. Reheat (do not allow to boil to avoid curdling) and serve with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of chives.
Per serving: 93 calories (0% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 0 total fat (0 saturated fat), 18 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 43 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (bread/starch)