Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Total: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 3-pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large onions: one should be peeled and quartered and one should be small diced
- 3 large carrots: one should be peeled and quartered and two should be small diced
- 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart canned no-salt, no-fat chicken broth
- 1 quart boiling water
- 6 ounces medium-wide noodles (cooked separately)
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ pound fresh spinach, well washed and large stems removed
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Place in a 5-quart or larger crockery slow cooker. Place the peeled and quarted onion, peeled and quartered carrot, and parsley around chicken pieces. Sprinkle with thyme, marjoram, and pepper.
- Add chicken broth, cover, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- When done cooking, remove and discard the onion, carrot, and parsley. Skim off and discard all surface fat from the broth.
- Remove the chicken from broth and cool for about 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard the chicken skin and bones. Shred chicken.
- Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and bring to a simmer. Add diced onion, diced carrots, diced celery, mushroom, and spinach. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
- Just before serving, add cooked noodles to soup and season with salt and pepper (to taste).
|Per serving:||285 calories (22% calories from fat), 31 g protein, 7 g total fat (1.8 g saturated fat), 24 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 72 mg cholesterol, 615 mg potassium, 121 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|