Salmon in Parchment Paper
Total: 45 minutes
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillets (3/4 inch thick), cut into 4 pieces
- ½ cup orange juice (fresh orange juice, if you want)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 12" x 16" sheets parchment paper (or aluminum foil)
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- ½ cup sliced shiitake or button mushrooms
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips (julienned)
- 2 scallions, white part and 1" of the green part, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- ¼ cup fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
- salt (to taste, and this is optional)
- freshly ground pepper (also optional)
- cooking spray
- 4 sprigs of fresh dill (for garnish)
- Rinse salmon fillets; pat dry with paper towels. Place salmon in a large self-sealing plastic bag.
- In a measuring cup, combine orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Pour over salmon fillets and seal the bag. Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, turning bag over frequently to redistribute the marinade, or refrigerate for up to 30 minutes, turning bag frequently.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fold each sheet of parchment or foil in half crosswise. Cut into a heart shape with the fold running vertically down the center. Open each heart to lie flat; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked rice, mushrooms, red bell pepper, scallions, and minced dill.
- Add chicken broth and gently stir.
- Arrange an equal portion of the rice mixture in the center of one side of each heart.
- Remove salmon from marinade, discarding marinade. Place salmon fillets over rice.
- Sprinkle the salmon with salt (if using) and pepper.
- Top each fillet with two lemon slices.
- Fold the opposite side of the heart over the salmon and beginning at the top of each heart, make a series of tight, overlapping folds to seal the parchment, folding pointed edges underneath the packet.
- Place closed packets on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes (salmon will flake easily when tested with a fork).
- Cut open packet and top with dill sprigs.
|Per serving:||272 calories (40% calories from fat), 24 g protein, 12 g total fat (3.0 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 75 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||3 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch)|