Total: 30 minutes
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can no-salt added Italian tomatoes and their juice
- 8 ounces penne pasta (or really, any kind of pasta that you want)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- In a heavy non-stick skillet, cook the red pepper flakes and garlic in the olive oil over low heat until pepper flakes are fragrant and garlic is limp, but not browned (about 2 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook the sauce over medium-low heat until thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Add a cup of cold water after you remove the pan from the heat (it will stop the cooking process), and then drain thoroughly.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce along with the parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Toss to coat evenly and serve at once.
|Per serving:||284 calories (18% calories from fat), 10 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 4 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch), 1 vegetable, 1 fat|