Here's a really good idea: make the BBQ sauce the day before and let all the flavors mingle and mix and intensify. Then when you're ready to grill, this will be even more flavorful BBQ chicken.
Total: 50 minutes
- 1 10 3/4-ounce can tomato puree
- ½ onion, 3 ounces, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons French style whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- sugar substitute equivalent of 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground all-spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 6 chicken breasts, 6 ounces, each, bone in, fat and skin removed
- olive oil cooking spray
- Prepare the coals in the barbecue or light the grill (if you're going to grill this right away).
- To make the BBQ sauce: place the tomato puree in a deep sauce pan. Add the onion and simmer slowly, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add the mustard, lemon juice, sugar substitute, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (if using), all-spice, ginger, and water. Simmer slowly for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the pepper and salt.
- This makes about 2 cups which can be frozen, refrigerated for up to 4 days, or served warm immediately. (You can make the recipe ahead to this point and then let the sauce sit overnight in the refrigerator in order to intensify the flavor.)
- When ready to grill, lightly coat the chicken breasts with cooking spray. Pat with freshly ground pepper and them place on the grill, bone side up.
- Grill, turning frequently, for 20 to 25 minutes. Then, brush both sides with BBQ sauce.
- Continue to grill until the chicken is no longer pink when cut with a knife.
- To serve, return the barbecue sauce to the stove and bring to a rapid boil for at least 2 minutes. Transfer sauce to a serving dish and pass to spoon over chicken breasts.
|Per serving (with 2 tablespoons sauce):||170 calories (10% calories from fat), 33 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 3 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 82 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 very lean protein|