Basic Pastry Dough
Making your own pastry dough is easy—really! Try our Basic Pastry Dough recipe for your next pie.
- 2 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 6 ounces ice water
- 1 tablespoon cold skim milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Add the oil and using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the oil into the flour until the mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Add the water and milk, tossing lightly with a fork. Gather the dough with your hands and mix until combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to use, roll out on floured surface to 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer to pan and crimp the edge by pinching the dough with your fingers. Fill and bake as you'd like.