Consider this sausage strata for your next brunch—but quick note: you need to refrigerate this overnight before baking. So mix it up the night before, and then have a relaxed morning while this cooks (and makes your house smell good!).
Total: 50 minutes
- cooking spray
- 1 pound chicken or turkey sausage
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 ½ cups egg substitute
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 1 ½ cups Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (there's a link to the recipe in the directions)
- Remove and discard sausage casings. Crumble the sausage and sauté in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until evenly browned, stirring and breaking up any large clumps with a wooden spoon. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned sausage to a plate covered in paper towels to thoroughly drain.
- In a 1-quart measuring cup, whisk together the milk and egg substitute.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese in a self-sealing plastic bag. Refrigerate. (You're saving this to sprinkle on top when you bake it.)
- Layer 1/3 of the bread cubes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half of the browned sausage and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Pour 1 cup of the milk-egg mixture over the top.
- Repeat the layers (1/3 of the bread, the rest of the sausage, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese).
- For the last layer, put on the rest of the bread and then pour over the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the milk-egg mixture.
- Cover with the tomatillo salsa. (Learn how to make roasted tomatillo salsa.)
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When you're ready to bake this in the morning, preheat oven to 350°F, uncover the casserole, and sprinkle the top with the reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake until the strata is bubbling and golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
|Per serving:||199 calories (19% calories from fat), 20 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.6 g saturated fat), 21 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 24 mg cholesterol, 375 mg potassium, 689 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1/2 skim milk)|