Apple Cheddar Popovers
Total: 30 minutes
- cooking spray
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith or Fuji, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat 8 popover cups with cooking spray. (If you don't have a popover pan, you can use a muffin tin.)
- Place 1 tablespoon each of the apple and cheese at the bottom of each popover cup.
- In a food processor or blender, combine eggs, flour, and salt. Process until well blended. (If you don't have a food processor or a blender, you can use a handmixer.)
- With the machine running, add milk and margarine through the feed tube (if using a food processor—otherwise, add these a little bit at a time to the blender or bowl). Process until smooth.
- Fill the cups two-thirds full with the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F, and continue to bake for another 20 minutes until popovers are puffed and golden brown.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
|Per serving:||111 calories (28% calories from fat), 5 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 58 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (bread/starch), 1/2 fat|