Turkey and Sweet Potato Patties over Baby Greens with fresh Fruit Salsa
(makes 4 servings)
|Turkey and Sweet Potato Patties:|
|refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray|
|1||small onion, 4 ounces(120 g), finely chopped|
|1||cup (200 g) mashed cooked sweet potatoes|
|1 1/2||cups (234 g) minced cooked turkey|
|1/4||cup (60 ml) egg substitute|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grated orange rind|
|1/4||cup (113 g ) walnuts, finely chopped|
|6||cups (330 g) mixed baby greens|
|Fresh Fruit Salsa:|
|1||navel orange, 8 ounces (240 g), peeled, segmented, and chopped, plus any juice from orange|
|1||Granny Smith apple, 8 ounces( 240 g), cored and chopped fine|
|1||scallion, white part and 2 inches (5 cm) green, chopped|
|4||ounces (120 g) red bell pepper, minced|
|2||jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and minced|
|1 1/2||tablespoons (20.5 ml )fresh lemon juice|
|3||tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil|
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt (optional)|
|1||packet sugar substitute|
- Lightly coat a large nonstick saute pan with cooking spray; add the onions and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to color and are reduced by a third.
- In a large bowl place the mashed sweet potatoes, cooked onion, turkey, egg substitute, and orange rind. Mix well.
- Place the chopped walnuts on a sheet of waxed paper. Form the potato-turkey mixture into 8 small patties and lightly coat with walnuts (the nuts will not totally cover the patty surfaces). Place patties on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; cover with foil and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Wash and chill the greens.
- While the patties are chilling, combine the chopped orange and any residual juice, apple, scallion, red pepper, jalapeños, lemon juice, olive oil, salt (if using), and sugar substitute. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Just before serving, lightly coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Saute the patties over medium-high heat, turning once, until the walnuts begin to brown and the patties are cooked through.
- To serve, divide the greens between 4 plates. Place 2 patties on top of each and top with 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the salsa. Pass the remaining salsa in a small serving bowl.
|Per serving:||411 calories (39% calories from fat), 22 g protein, 18 g total fat (2.8 g saturated fat), 43 g carbohydrate, 8 g dietary fiber, 40 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 lean protein, 3 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable), 2 fat|