(makes 4 servings)
|1/2||tablespoon (7.5 ml) Thai fish sauce |
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) dark sesame oil|
|1/4||packet sugar substitute|
|3/4||pound (360 g) flank steak|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) Thai fish sauce|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice|
|1/2||packet sugar substitute|
|1/8||teaspoon (.6 ml) crushed red pepper flakes or to taste|
|3||ounces (90 g) rice-stick noodles|
|1/2||English cucumber, 4 ounces (120 g), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced|
|4||cups (224 g) mixed greens, washed and crisped|
|1/4||cup (10 g) chopped fresh mint|
|1/2||cup (21 g) chopped fresh basil|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) chopped dry-roasted peanuts|
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade and place in a shallow bowl. Add the flank steak, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours, or over night, turning once.
- Light the grill or preheat the broiler.
- To make the sauce, place the water, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar substitute, and red pepper flakes in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well combined; set aside.
- In a deep bowl, place the noodles. Cover with warm water and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain and then boil in fresh water to cover for 2 to 4 minutes, until cooked through. Drain, rinse under cold running water, and drain again. Set aside.
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Score the meat in a cross-hatched pattern and grill until done, about 8 minutes per side for medium. Transfer steak to a carving board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing into very thin slices on a diagonal.
- To assemble the salads, divide the greens, cucumber, and herbs between 4 dinner plates. Mound the noodles in the center of each plate and top with an equal portion of steak slices.
- Garnish each serving with 1/4 of the chopped peanuts.
|Per Serving:||251 calories (30% calories from fat), 21 g protein, 8 g total fat (3.2 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 44 mg cholesterol, 811 mg sodium*|
|Diabetic Exchanges:||2 1/2 lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1 vegetable|
* If you are on a sodium-restricted diet, you will need to limit your sodium intake the rest of the day.