Strawberry Short Cake
(makes 4 biscuits)
|1||cup( (150 g) low fat biscuit and baking mix (70% less fat than regular mix)|
|1/2||cup (120 ml) low fat buttermilk or skim milk|
|2||tablespoons (30 g) Spoon One Sugar Replacement|
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract|
|butter-flavored cooking spray|
|12||strawberries, cleaned and sliced thin|
|fat free whipped topping|
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C), gas mark 6.
- Place the biscuit mix, milk, sugar substitute and vanilla extract in a bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Roll out the dough on a flowered board and cut with a 2 3/4-inch (6.7 cm) biscuit cutter into 4 biscuits.
- Place onto a nonstick cookie sheet which you have coated with cooking spray. Bake about 12 minutes, until nicely browned.
- To serve, cut each warm biscuit in half and top lower half with three sliced strawberries, saving one slice for garnish. Cover with the top of the biscuit. Place a dollop of whipped topping on top and garnish with reserved strawberry. Garnish with fresh mint.
|Per serving:||146 calories (13% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 29 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 1 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch, 1/2 fruit)|