(makes 8 servings)
|3||large tomatoes, stemmed and coarsely chopped|
|1||large green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|3/4||cup (120 g) chopped red onion|
|1||large cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|1||jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, peeled and quartered|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) paprika|
|2 1/2||cup (600 ml) low-sodium vegetable juice cocktail|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice|
|Tabasco or other hot sauce, to taste|
|freshly ground pepper|
|1||medium ripe avocado|
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, cucumber, chile pepper, garlic, and paprika in the workbowl of a food processor blender. Add about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of the vegetable juice cocktail and pulse until vegetables are finely minced.
- Add remaining juice cocktail and lemon juice. Pulse another 30 seconds.
- Pour into a covered container. Taste and add hot sauce, salt (if using), and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for several hours.
- When ready to serve, seed and peel the avocado. Dice.
- Serve gazpacho in small plastic beverage cups, topping each portion with some of the avocado.
|Per serving:||86 calories (34% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 52 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (3 vegetable), 1 fat|