Spanish Tortilla (Potato Omelet)
(makes 16 servings)
|olive oil cooking spray|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil|
|2||pounds (960 g) russet potatoes, peeled and diced|
|2||medium white onions, thinly sliced|
|3||large cloves garlic, minced|
|2||tablespoons (8 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley|
|freshly ground pepper|
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt (optional)|
|1 1/2||cups (360 ml) liquid egg substitute or 6 large eggs, well beaten|
- Lightly coat a 10-inch (25 cm) nonstick ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Add olive oil and place over medium-low heat.
- Add the potatoes and onion; cooking, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender and onion is golden brown. Stir in the garlic, parsley, pepper, and salt (if using). Cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl. Mix in egg substitute. Preheat the broiler.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towels and recoat the skillet with cooking spray. Add potato-egg mixture to the skillet and cook over low heat, pressing the potatoes down with a pancake turner so that they are completely covered by the egg. Cook, covered, until the egg on the sides of skillet is slightly brown and egg mixture starts to set, about 10 minutes. Place under the broiler until center of omelet is cooked through and the top is golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Carefully invert tortilla onto a large serving dish and cool to room temperature. Cut into very small wedges or 1 1/2-inch squares to pick up with a toothpick.
|Per serving:||70 calories (12% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 12 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 51 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|