Southwestern Shrimp Salad with Corn and Peaches
(makes 4 servings)
|3||medium ears of fresh corn, shucked, and kernels removed from the cob|
|1||jarred roasted red bell pepper, 5 ounces (150 g), packed in brine, drained, and coarsely chopped|
|1||small white onion, chopped|
|1/4||medium jicama, about 4 ounces(120 g) peeled and cut into julienne strips|
|1/4||teaspoon cumin seed|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice|
|1||fresh jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely minced|
|1||pounds (480 g) peeled, cooked large shrimp, thawed if frozen|
|2||large ripe peaches|
|1||head radicchio, separated into leaves|
|1/4||cup (11 g) minced fresh herbs: cilantro, chervil, basil, mint, or flat-leaf parsley (for garnish)|
|freshly ground pepper|
- In a medium pot of boiling water, blanch the corn kernels for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under running cold water. Put the corn in a large bowl; add the roasted pepper, onion, and jicama.
- In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over medium heat, stirring constantly until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the seeds from the skillet, let cool slightly, then crush them with a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder.
- In a glass measure, combine crushed umin seeds, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and jalapeño. Whisk to combine.
- Lay the thawed shrimp in a shallow dish and pour on the cumin-olive oil mixture. Toss to coat. (Salad can be made ahead up to this point, each part covered, and refrigerated.)
- Wash and peel the peaches (if necessary, dip the peaches in boiling water for 1 minute to facilitate removing the skin). Cut in half and remove the pits. Slice into wedges and add to the salad bowl.
- When ready to serve, arrange 2 or 3 radicchio leaves on individual dinner plates. Toss the corn-peach mixture and spoon onto the leaves.
- Arrange the shrimp over the salad and spoon on any remaining dressing.
- If desired, garnish with chopped herbs. Season with pepper.
|Per Serving:||306 calories (26% calories from fat), 29 g protein, 9 g total fat (1.4 g saturatated fat), 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g dietary fiber, 221 mg cholesterol, 408 mg sodium|
|Diabetic Exchanges:||3 1/2 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1/2 fruit), 1 vegtable|