(makes 10 servings)
|2||28-ounce (793 g total) cans low-sodium crushed tomatoes|
|1||large onion, about 1/2 pound (225 g), chopped|
|3||large garlic cloves, minced|
|2||medium celery ribs celery with leaves, chopped|
|1||quart (1 l) low-sodium beef broth, defatted|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) paprika|
|1||teaspoon (4 g) sugar|
|2||tablespoons (18 g) cornstarch|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) dry sherry or additional beef broth|
|1/2||cup (10 g ) packed finely chopped fresh basil leaves|
|1||tablespoon (12.5 g) reduced-fat margarine|
|salt (optional) to taste|
|freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Simmer the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and celery in a covered soup pot for 15 minutes.
- Process the vegetables in a food processor or blender in small batches. Return to the pot.
- Add the beef broth, paprika, and sugar. Combine the cornstarch and dry sherry; stir until well dissolved. Add to the soup and stir. Bring to a simmer again and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and margarine. Taste for seasoning, adding salt (if using) and pepper to taste.
- Transfer soup to a preheated 2-quart thermos. Serve warm in small cups.
|Per serving:||64 calories (14% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.2 g saturated), 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium|