Spring Vegetable Soup with Scallion and Dill-Flecked Matzo Balls
(makes 8 servings)
|3||tablespoons (38 g) unsalted pareve kosher-for-Passover margarine|
|3||scallions, white part and 2 inches (5 cm) green, finely chopped|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) 99% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth|
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) freshly ground pepper|
|1/2||cup (70 g) unsalted matzo meal|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) minced fresh dill|
|canola oil cooking spray|
|3||medium carrots, diced|
|2||cups (240 g) small broccoli florets|
|2||small zucchini, diced|
|2||small yellow crookneck squash, diced|
|8||ounces (240 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced|
|1||small red onion, diced|
|2||large cloves garlic, minced|
|6||cups (1.4 l) 99% fat free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth|
|1||28-ounce (840 g) no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes|
|4||ounces (120 g) sugar snap peas, trimmed|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh dill|
- For the matzo balls; melt margarine in a heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Mix in scallion mixture, matzo meal, and dill. Cover and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Using moistened palms, roll rounded teaspoonfuls of matzo mixture into small balls. Place on prepared baking sheet. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Drop matzo balls into boiling water. Cover and boil until matzo balls are tender, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer matzo balls to a large plate. (May be prepared up to 2 days ahead, covered, and chilled.)
- To make soup, lightly coat a large heavy soup pot with cooking spray. Add carrots, broccoli, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, red onion, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes with their juice, sugar snap peas, and dill. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. (May be made ahead, covered, and chilled for up to 1 day. Reheat to simmer before continuing).
- Add matzo balls to the soup and continue to cook until matzo balls are heated through. Soup will be thick. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
|Per serving:||161 calories (31% calories from fat), 8 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 53 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 3 vegetable), 1 fat|