Spicy Tortilla Soup
- 6 cups 98% fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato
- ½ tablespoon crushed dried oregano
- 6 fresh corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut lengthwise into 12 wedges
- 2 scallions, white part and 2 inches green, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh lime, cut into six wedges
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tortilla strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes, tossing strips occasionally. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, chile peppers, and garlic. Sauté over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato, oregano, and pepper. Sauté, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to soup pot and stir into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir cooked chicken into simmering soup.
- To serve, place 2 tablespoons shredded cheese in each of 6 shallow soup bowls. Divide the soup equally between the bowls and top each serving with two avocado slices and some of the scallion and cilantro. Float tortilla strips on top and offer a wedge of lime to squeeze over each serving.
|Per serving:||215 calories (32% calories from fat), 17 g protein, 8 g total fat (2.7 g saturated fat), 21 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 30 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 very lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 vegetable), 1 fat|