(makes 4 servings)
|2||large red bell peppers, about 1 pound (450 g) total|
|2||small carrots, 6 ounces (180 g), peeled and quartered lengthwise|
|2||shallots, peeled and cut in half|
|2||garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half|
|1||pear, peeled and quartered, core and seeds removed|
|3||cups (708 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth|
|salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly spray a roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Place peppers, carrots, shallots, and garlic in a roasting pan. Lightly spray vegetables with cooking spray. Roast for 20 minutes. Using tongs, turn peppers over. Add pears to the roasting pan and continue to bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place peppers in a paper bag for 10 minutes to sweat. Wash off the blackened skin under cold running water. Remove seeds and core.
- Place peppers, shallots, garlic, and pear in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a heavy saucepan. Blend in chicken broth and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt (if using) and pepper.
- Ladle into 4 soup bowls. Serve hot.
|Per serving:||97 calories (14% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 48 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1 vegetable|
tip: To save time, roast and puree the vegetables and pear while you're preparing dinner the night before. Store in the refrigerator overnight in a covered container. Next day, you're ready to continue the recipe at Step 4.