Easy Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat margarine
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 3 14.5-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with the juice
- 5 cups no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 12-ounce cans evaporated skim milk
- In a heavy soup pot, heat margarine and oil over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is very limp (about 10 minutes), taking care to not let the onion brown.
- Add thyme, oregano, tomatoes with their juice, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Taste soup, adding cayenne and salt (if using) and pepper.
- Stir in evaporated milk and heat through. Do not let mixture actually boil.
|Per serving:||94 calories (19% calories from fat), 7 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.3 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 2 g cholesterol, 112 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1/2 milk, 1 vegetable)|