Cold Herb Soup
(makes 4 servings)
|butter-flavored cooking spray|
|3/4||pound (360 g) sweet onion, chopped|
|1 1/2||tablespoons (22.5 g) all-purpose flour|
|1||16-ounce (454 g) canned low-fat, low-salt chicken broth|
|3/4||cup (180 ml) water|
|1||cup (40 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley|
|1||2/3-ounce (20 g) container frozen chopped chives, or 1/2 cup (20 g) snipped fresh|
|4||tablespoons (60 ml) minced fresh tarragon leaves|
|6||springs fresh thyme|
|1/3||cup (75 g) fat-free sour cream|
|fresh lemon slices and fresh herbs for garish|
- Lightly coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add the onion and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and water. Bring to a simmer and stir until slightly thickened. Add the herbs and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- Working in batches, transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth, adding the sour cream to the last batch. In a large bowl, combine batches and refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Serve in small soup bowls with lemon slices and herbs for garnish.
|Per serving:||99 calories (5% calories from fat), 6 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 2 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)|