Helpful tip: to keep guacamole from turning brown, place the avocado seed in the guac. Then when you pull it out of refrigerator to serve it, it'll be the right green color.
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 2 cups plain non-fat yogurt, drained
- 1 large plum tomato, seeded and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots or red onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- minced fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise; remove and discard the pits. (Or keep one if you're planning on using it to keep the guac from turning brown.) Using a spoon worked in between the flesh and the skin, remove the avocado half from the skin.
- Cut the avocado into 1-inch pieces.
- Using a large mixing spoon, mix the avocado with the yogurt, mashing the avocado as you mix to a chunky consistency.
- Stir in tomato, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. You can serve with our baked pita chips or tortilla chips.
|Per 2-piece serving:||95 calories (45% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch), 1 fat|