Salmon Summer Salad
(makes 4 servings)
|1||pound (480 g) salmon fillet, poached or grilled|
|1/2||pound (240 g) small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed|
|3/4||pound (360 g) thin fresh asparagus|
|6||tablespoons (90 ml) fresh lemon juice|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) minced lemon zest|
|1/4||cup (58 g) plain nonfat yogurt|
|1||large garlic clove, minced|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) capers, rinsed and well drained|
|3||tablespoons (12 g) finely chopped fresh dill|
|2||tablespoons (8 g) finely chopped parsley|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt (optional)|
|1/8||teaspoon (0.6 ml) freshly ground pepper|
|8||leaves of red leaf lettuce, rinsed and crisped|
- Into a large bowl, break up the salmon in 1/2-inch (1.3 cm) pieces. Set aside.
- Quarter potatoes and cook in boiling water to cover until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and add to salmon.
- Meanwhile, grim the rough ends off asparagus and cut into 1 1/2-inch (3.8 ml) pieces. Cook in boiling water to cover until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and add to salmon mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt, garlic, capers, dill, parsley, salt (if using), and pepper. Pour over salmon mixture and toss to evenly coat salmon and vegetables. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each of 4 plates. Place equal portions of salmon salad on the lettuce and garnish with cherry tomatoes which have been cut in halves. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||229 calories (17% calories from fat), 27 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 59 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 very lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 vegetable)|