Salad of Exotic Fruits
(makes 4 serving)
|1||tablespoon (12 g) sugar|
|3/4||cup (60 ml) water|
|1/8||teaspoon (0.6 ml) Chinese Five-Spice Powder|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grated lemon zest|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grated lime zest|
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) finely minced fresh ginger|
|1||tablespoon (30 ml) fresh lime juice|
|1||ripe mango, about 8 ounces (240 g)|
|1||large kiwifruit, about 5 ounces (150 g)|
|1||passion fruit (optional)|
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, coriander seeds, clove, five-spice powder, citrus zest, ginger, and lime juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes to form a syrup. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Peel mango and slice lengthwise, parallel to the pit on both sides into large pieces. Slice each piece into several strips crosswise.
- Peel kiwifruit and halve lengthwise. Cut each half into thin wedges. Divide the fruit equally between 4 dessert bowls.
- Strain the reserved syrup and divide equally between the bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, uncover bowls. If using passion fruit, cut in half. Using a small spoon, scoop the pulp out of each half equally onto the fruit in each bowl.
|Per serving:||50 calories (0% calories from fat), 1 g protein, 0 total fat (0 saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (fruit)|