(makes 4 servings)
|1||pound (480 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|2||scallions (white part and 1 inch (5 cm) green, chopped|
|1/4||cup (113 g) plain nonfat yogurt|
|1/4||cup (68 g) fat-free sour cream|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grated lemon zest|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grated orange zest|
|1||teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or to taste|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh orange juice|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) fresh lemon juice|
|1/8||teaspoon (0.6 ml) sugar substitute|
|1||cup, 5 ounces (150 g) honeydew melon balls|
|1||cup, 5 ounces (150 g) cantaloupe balls|
|8||red-leaf lettuce leaves, washed and crisped|
|1||tablespoon (7 g) sliced almonds, toasted|
- Rinse the chicken breasts; pat dry with paper towels. Place breasts in a microwave-safe dish and cook, covered, on HIGH (100%) power for 2 minutes. Turn and rotate the breasts; cook for another 2 minutes. Cut to test for doneness; chicken should be opaque throughout and all juices running clear.
- Transfer breasts to a carving board and allow to cool slightly. Cut into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine the scallion, yogurt, sour cream, lemon and orange zest, curry powder, orange and lemon juices, and the sugar substitute in a small bowl. Taste, adding additional curry as desired.
- Add the melon balls to the chicken pieces; toss with the dressing.
- To serve, place 2 lettuce pieces on each of 4 dinner plates. Mound the chicken-melon salad on top.
- Garnish each serving with 1/4 of the almonds.
|Per Serving:||196 calories (12% calories from fat), 30 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 67 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium|
|Diabetic Exchanges:||3 very lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch)|
Note: Vary the melons -- trying Casaba, Crenshaw, Persian, etc. -- for different flavors.