Crunchy Summer Vegetable Salad
- 2 ½ cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 8 ounces jicama, peeled and julienned
- 8 ounces fresh cauliflower florets, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup fresh chives, snipped
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- In separate pots of boiling water, blanch corn and the peas for 2 minutes, drain well, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the jicama, cauliflower, and red bell pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, whisk together the dressing ingredients (shallots, white wine vinegar, canola oil, chives, salt, and pepper). Pour over the vegetables and toss.
- Serve at once.
|Per serving:||102 calories (33% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 14 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1/2 fat|