(makes 4 servings)
Carpaccio of Beef is usually a raw beef appetizer, but here we cook the meat to your desired level of doneness and serve the dish with a lovely vegetable salad topped with yogurt sauce. You will have extra sauce which makes an excellent dip for raw vegetables or a zippy salad dressing. Serve this dish with crusty bread and frozen fat-free, sugar-free ice cream and meringue cookies (October, 1997).
|1||pound (480 g) beef tenderloin cut into 4 servings|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) kosher salt|
|1||pound (480 g) thin asparagus, tough ends removed|
|10||ounces(300 g) plum tomatoes, chopped|
|1/4||cup fresh basil, chopped|
|10||ounces (300 g) baby lettuce of your choice|
|3||tablespoons (45 ml) red wine vinegar|
|1 1/2||tablespoons (22.5 ml ) olive oil|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) water|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grained Dijon mustard|
|4||ounces (120 g) fat-free ricotta|
|1||cup (200 g )nonfat plain yogurt|
|1/4||cup (20 ml) red wine vinegar|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) capers|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) anchovy paste|
|1/4||cup (15 g) fresh basil leaves|
|1/4||cup (15 g) flat leaf parsley|
- Preheat oven to broil or light a grill
- Salt and pepper the beef. Broil or grill until done to your desired degree of doneness. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Cook the asparagus in 2 tablespoons water in the microwave. Place in ice water to refresh. Drain and place in bowl. Add the chopped tomato and basil.
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the vinegar, oil, water, mustard, and pepper. Set aside.
- Using a food processor with a metal blade, combine the ricotta, yogurt, vinegar, capers, anchovy paste, shallot, garlic, parsley, basil and pepper. until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the vinaigrette. Place on one side of each of 4 large plates. Toss the tomato and chopped basil with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the vinaigrette. Place on the other side of each plate, leaving the center empty. Toss the lettuce with the remaining vinaigrette and place in the center between the vegetables.
- Slice the beef against the grain into paper thin slices. Arrange on the plate and drizzle with each serving with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the Anchovy-Caper Sauce. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||362 calories (40% calories from fat), 36 g protein, 16 g total fat (4.2 g saturated fat), 17 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 76 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (1/2 skim milk, 2 vegetable), 1 fat|