(makes 4 servings)
|1||15-ounce (450 g) can cannellini beans, rinsed well|
|1||boneless chicken breast, skinless, all fat removed|
|1/2||English cucumber sliced thin|
|1||red bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped|
|1 1/2||tablespoons (22.5 ml) fresh mint leaves, chopped|
|1/4||cup (60 ml) fresh orange juice|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) grated orange rind|
|1||tablespoon (15 ml) white wine vinegar|
|2||tablespoon (30 ml) olive oil|
|1/8||teaspoon (0.63 ml) salt, optional|
|extra cilantro for garnish|
|baked fat-free tortilla chips|
- Place the rinsed beans in a salad bowl. Set aside.
- Grill the chicken breast in a ridged skillet or over coals. When done, cool for 5 minutes and slice into thin slices across the grain.
- Coat a non stick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the onion until opaque. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 more minute. Add to the beans.
- Add the cucumber, red bell pepper, cilantro and mint, and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice, orange zest, vinegar, cumin, olive oil, salt (if using) and pepper. Toss with salad. Top with the sliced chicken.
- Place the lettuce cups on plates. Top with salad and serve. Garnish with extra cilantro. Pass the tortilla chips.
|Per serving:||215 calories (34% calories from fat), 17 g protein, 8 g total fat (1.1 g saturated fat), 18 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 33 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2.5 very lean protein, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1 fat|
Analysis does not include tortilla chips; assumes 8 oz. chicken.