Pudding with Spiced Apricots
(makes 4 servings)
|1||large egg, separated|
|2||teaspoons (10 ml) sugar|
|1/4||cup (5 g) spoonable sugar substitute|
|1 1/2||cups (360 ml) evaporated skim milk|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) instant tapioca|
|1/2||teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract|
|refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray|
|4||fresh firm ripe apricots, seeded and cut each half into 3rds|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cinnamon|
|1/8||teaspoon (0.6 ml) ground nutmeg|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice|
- In a small bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until white forms stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, whisk together sugar substitute, milk, tapioca, egg yolk, and vanilla. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place on stove and cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a full boil. Immediately stir in beaten egg white. Continue to cook on low for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the pudding surface. Cool.
- When ready to serve, lightly coat a nonstick skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray. Add apricots and sprinkle with cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add lemon juice and toss apricots while cooking for 2 to 3 minutes over medium-high heat. When apricots are lightly brown and just tender, remove from stove.
- To serve, spoon pudding into 4 dessert bowls. Top with equal amounts of the apricot mixture. Serve at once.
|Per serving:||144 calories (10% calories from fat), 9 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 57 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 1 skim milk)|