Warm Grapefruit and Orange with Sherry Sauce
(makes 4 servings)
|1/2||tablespoon (7.5 ml) grated grapefruit zest|
|1/2||tablespoon (7.5 ml) grated orange zest|
|2||large ruby grapefruits, about 10 ounces (300 g) each|
|2||large navel oranges, about 8 ounces (240 g) each|
|1/4||cup (60 ml) dry sherry or unsweetened grapefruit juice|
|1||tablespoon (6 g) sliced almonds|
- Before you start, remove the zest from the grapefruits and oranges, using a zester or hand-held grater. Set aside.
- Working over a large bowl, remove rind and white pith from the grapefruits and oranges. Section fruits carefully, cutting between membranes so sections come out whole. Place sections in a microwave-safe baking dish. Reserve juice.
- In a small saucepan, combine sherry, reserved juice, and reserved zest. Simmer until reduced by half. Set aside.
- Microwave citrus sections on HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until heated through. Carefully toss with sherry sauce.
- Pile the sections and sauce into 4 stemmed dessert glasses and sprinkle with the almonds.
|Per serving:||93 calories (8% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (fruit)|