Orange Blossom Strawberry Pie
The following recipe with exchanges are taken with permission from Mrs. Bateman's Cooking Lite for Life, her self-published 4-color cookbook. We thank them for their contribution, but we caution that you count the carbohydrate grams, rather than looking at the exchanges provided. On this site and in our Joslin cookbooks, we consider 15 grams to be 1 carbohydrate exchange.
(makes 8 servings)
|Mrs. Bateman's Pie Crust:|
|1||tablespoon Granulated SugarLike|
|1 1/4||cup cake flour|
|1/2||teaspoon baking powder|
|1/4||teaspoon baking soda|
|7/8||cup ButterLike Baking Butter|
|butter or vegetable cooking spray|
|1||large egg white, beaten|
|3/4||cup SugarLike Granulated Sugar|
|1||teaspoon grated orange peel|
|6||cups strawberries, hulled|
|2||tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed|
- Place dry ingredients in mixing bow; stir with a fork. If ButterLike is cold, soften for 10-30 seconds in the microwave. Cut pre-measured baking Butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until you have small crumbs.
- Add ice water and vinegar gradually, mixing while adding. At certain altitudes and humidity levels, the dough may not require much water. You want the flour pretty much picked up off the bottom of the bowl. If necessary, add more water or flour until dough does not fall apart and will roll out easily. Let dough rest for a few minutes before rolling.
- Flour a work surface and place 1/3 of the dough in the center. Roll out to form a circle slightly larger than a 8 or 9-inch pie plate which has been lightly coated with cooking spray, adding flour as necessary to prevent dough from sticking. Fold dough in half and lift into pie pan; open dough up. Fit down into pan and crimp the edges. Make vent designs in the bottom and brush the crust with egg white. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. (Ed note: Roll out and freeze or refrigerate the 2 remaining crusts.)
- In a 1 1/2-quart pan, combine SugarLike, cornstarch, and orange peel. In a blender or food processor, whirl 2 cups of the least perfect strawberries with water until smoothly pureed. Blend puree into SugarLike mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in orange juice.
- Arrange remaining strawberries, tips up, in the cool baked pastry. Spoon hot glaze over berries, covering completely. Refrigerate until glaze is cool and set.
|Per serving (crust and filling):||137 calories (10% calories from fat), 2 g protein, 1 g total fat (0 saturated fat), 41 g carbohydrate, 7 dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 180 mg sodium|
|Mrs. Bateman's exchanges:||0.9 bread/starch, 0.6 fruit, 0.1 fat|