Old-Fashioned Bread and Sage Dressing
(makes about 12 cups)
|1/4||cup (50 g) reduced-fat margarine|
|5||celery ribs with leaves, chopped|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) crushed dried thyme|
|1/2 to 1||teaspoon (2.5 to 5 ml) crushed dried sage|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) salt (optional)|
|1/4||teaspoon (1.75 ml) freshly ground pepper|
|2||1-pound (480 g) loaves firm white bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|1/3||cup (20 g) chopped parsley|
|2 1/2 to 3||cups (560 to 720 ml) 98% fat-free, no-salt-added canned chicken broth|
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C), Gas Mark 3.
- Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet. Add celery and onion. Sauté until vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in thyme, sage, salt (if using), and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices on a baking sheet and lightly toast on both sides, about 10 minutes per side. Break bread into bite-size pieces. Mix in vegetable mixture and parsley. (At this point stuffing can be made 1 day ahead, placed in a self-sealing plastic bag, and refrigerated).
- In a medium saucepan, heat broth to a simmer. Place dressing mixture in a large mixing bowl. Pour on hot broth and stir until bread is evenly moistened, starting with 2 1/2 cups broth and adding additional broth to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer dressing mixture to a shallow baking casserole. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until lightly browned and heat through, another 15 to 20 minutes.
|Per 1/2-cup (120 ml) serving:||116 calories (20% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 237 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|