Mini-pizzas for the Young Guests
(makes 8 pizzas)
|4||ounces (240 g) Canadian bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|4||6-inch (15 cm) pita breads|
|3||plum tomatoes, thinly sliced|
|1||small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings|
|1||cup (114 g) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese|
|1||tablespoon crushed dried basil|
|1/4||teaspoon dried red pepper flakes|
|olive oil cooking spray|
- Preheat the broiler.
- Sauté the bacon in a nonstick skillet over high heat for 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Split the pitas by using a serrated knife to cut all the way around the perimeter of each pita bread. Arrange on a large baking sheet, cut side up, and toast under a broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until just barely colored.
- Divide tomato and onion between the pita rounds and sprinkle with the bacon.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, basil, and pepper flakes. Sprinkle evenly over the rounds and broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned around the edges.
- Cut each pizza round into quarters and arrange on a napkin-lined platter.
|Per 1 pizza serving:||158 calories (23% calories from fat), 11 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.9 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 15 mg cholesterol, 79 mg potassium, 473 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 1 vegetable)|