Mexican Chocolate Torte
(makes 16 servings)
|6||large egg whites, at room temperature|
|1||cup (126 g) one-to-one sugar substitute such as Splenda®|
|1/2||cup (64 g) Kahlua-flavored instant powdered coffee beverage|
|1 1/2||teaspoons (7.5 ml) ground cinnamon|
|3||tablespoons (45 ml) boiling water|
|2||tablespoons (30 ml) Kahlua or additional boiling water|
|3 1/2||cups (840 ml) + 2 tablespoons (30 ml) skim milk|
|2||(6 serving) packages chocolate flavored fat-free sugar-free instant pudding mix|
|1||16-ounce (450 g) container frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed|
|1||ounce (30 g) semisweet chocolate shavings|
|whole fresh strawberries or edible flowers (optional)|
- Preheat the oven to 225°F (107°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and draw two 7-inch (17.5 cm) circles on each sheet.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar substitute and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 circles and spread to cover the circles completely, forming 4 meringue layers.
- Bake for 1 hour or until meringues are crisp and lightly golden. Turn the oven off and let meringues remain in the closed oven for another hour. Carefully transfer meringues to racks to cool completely.
- In a large metal bowl, dissolve the coffee beverage and cinnamon in boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved. Stir in Kahlua, and milk. Whisk in pudding mix, beating for 2 to 3 minutes until thick and smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- To assemble, place a meringue layer on a large serving plate. Spread 1/3 of the pudding mixture over the meringue. Place a meringue layer on top and spread with the second third of the pudding mixture. Repeat with the remaining layers. Sprinkle top meringue layer with the chocolate shavings. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, if using, garnish top and the base of the torte with whole fresh strawberries or edible flowers. To serve, cut into wedges.
|Per serving:||150 calories (9% calories from fat), 4 g protein, 2 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 32 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 301 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)|