(makes 36 biscotti)
|1 1/4||cups (175 g) unbleached all-purpose flour|
|1/2||cup spoonable sugar substitute|
|1||teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder|
|3||tablespoons (37.5 g) reduced-fat cold stick margarine, cut into bits|
|1||large egg or 1/4 cup (60 ml) liquid egg substitute|
|3||tablespoons (45 ml) grated lemon zest|
|3||tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lemon juice|
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or in a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar substitute, and baking powder. Add the margarine and pulse until mixture forms fine crumbs (if working in a bowl, cut in margarine with a pastry blender or two knives). Add egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Pulse until mixture forms a dough around the blade (mixing in a bowl, stir until moistened and gathers into dough).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead 2 or 3 times, adding additional flour if needed (dough should be sticky). Form dough into a log about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter. Transfer log to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet, set on a rack for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275°F (135°C).
- With a sharp knife, cut the log diagonally into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) slices. Then cut each slice in half. Arrange the half slices, standing upright on the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer biscotti to wire racks to cool. Once cool, store in airtight containers until ready to serve.
|Per 4 biscotti:||93 calories (32% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 24 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch), 1/2 fat|