Home-Style Tomato Sauce
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 3 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- ¾ pound plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup dry red wine or 98% fat-free, no-salt-added canned beef broth
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tablespoon crushed dried oregano
- 2 large bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- salt (optional)
- To make the sauce: In a large heavy pot, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Divide sauce in half. Use each half as directed in recipes below or transfer into 2-cup plastic freezer containers. Label and freeze until firm.
|Per 1/2 cup serving:||42 calories (0 calories from fat), 2 g protein, 0 total fat (0 saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 117 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 vegetable)|