- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, rinsed and picked over
- 7 cups fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 medium onions, about 1/2 pound, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 small jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped red onion (optional)
- Put beans and water in a large pot and bring to a boil on top of the stove. Boil for 2 minutes, turn off the heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and place in slow cooker.
- Add 5 cups of the broth to the slow cooker, along with the onion, garlic, cilantro, mint, parsley, bay leaf (if using), oregano, thyme, and chile peppers. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. If cooking on HIGH, stir after 2 hours of cooking time.
- About 30 minutes before chili will be done, in a large skillet, poach chicken breast in the remaining 2 cups chicken broth until just tender, about 15 minutes. Cool and cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Reserve chicken and broth.
- When beans are tender, remove about 3 cups of the beans and mash with a potato masher or in the food processor. Return mashed beans to the cooker and add the chicken pieces. Stir well.
- If cooking on LOW, change setting to HIGH. Add some of the reserved broth as needed to thin the chili to desired consistency (chili should be thick). Cook, uncovered, until chicken is heated through (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Sprinkle with chopped red onion before serving, if you want.
|Per 1-cup serving:||219 calories (15% calories from fat), 31 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 72 mg cholesterol, 72 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||4 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch)|