- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound leeks, trimmed, split in half lengthwise and well rinsed
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons dried small white beans
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 quarts low-sodium canned chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can no salt added plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, well rinsed and tough stems discarded
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Add leeks and onion to pot . Cook, stirring, until vegetables wilt (about 5 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes and spinach. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and continue to simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes, until white beans are tender.
- Add spinach and simmer, uncovered, until wilted, about 3 minutes, stirring.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
|Per serving:||144 calories (17% calories from fat), 8 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate, 7 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 110 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 3 vegetable)|