Stuffed Greek-style Chicken Breasts
- 4 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 water-packed canned artichoke hearts, minced
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, preferably Greek
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fat-free no-salt-added canned chicken broth
- ¼ cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices lemon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Remove all visible fat from chicken, rinse and pat dry. Season chicken with salt (if using) and pepper.
- Place halves between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken is very thin and flat.
- Combine artichoke hearts, onion, and oregano.
- Spoon equal amounts of the artichoke mixture into the center of each pounded chicken breast to form a log. Roll up. Secure with a toothpick or skewer.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown evenly on all sides. If some of the stuffing drops out, don't despair. It will flavor the sauce.
- Pour on broth and lemon juice.
- Top chicken with lemon slices, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Transfer chicken to a platter, discarding toothpicks/skewers. Keep warm (covering it in foil and putting it in the oven should work well).
- Using a fork, mix cornstarch with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add to skillet and stir over high heat until slightly thickened.
- Spoon lemon sauce onto chicken. Garnish with the cooked lemon slices and parsley.
|Per serving:||224 calories (21% calories from fat), 21 g protein, 35 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 82 mg cholesterol, 401 mg potassium, 339 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 vegetable)|