Steak and Mushroom Soup
- 2 medium onions, about 1/2 pound, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 ½ pounds lean beef top round steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 pound button mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 7 cups fat-free low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 pound Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- Put onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a 5-quart or larger crockery slow cooker.
- In a large self-sealing plastic bag, combine flour, lemon pepper seasoning, and thyme. Add beef cubes and toss to coat evenly. Place meat on top of the onion mixture. Cover the meat with the tomatoes and their juice. Top with the mushrooms. Pour beef broth into slow cooker. Add the bay leaf. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours or on HIGH for 4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours.
- Add the chard and stir the soup, removing and discarding the bay leaf.. Cover and cook on LOW for 15 minutes or on HIGH for 10 minutes.
|Per 1-cup serving:||139 calories (17% calories from fat), 19 g protein, 3 g total fat (1.0 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 38 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||2 lean meat, 2 vegetable|