Spicy Seafood and Chicken Gumbo with Rice
- 6 cups fat-free no salt added canned chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce no salt added plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
- 1 medium white onion, 6 ounces, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh okra, tops and stems removed, cut into rings
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- scallions, chopped including some green
- Put chicken broth, tomatoes with their juice, onion, garlic, celery, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, and thyme in a large pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add shrimp, crabmeat, cooked chicken, Worcestershire, and cayenne. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add okra and cook until okra is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Place 1/3 cup of cooked rice on top of each serving and sprinkle with scallions.
|Per serving:||255 calories (14% calories from fat), 26 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 128 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 very lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 3 vegetable)|