Snowy-Day Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 scallions, white part and 1 inch green, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds lean beef top round, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, or to taste, minced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium canned beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, scallions, and mushrooms. Sauté, stirring often, until vegetables are wilted and most of the liquid is absorbed. Using a slotted spoon transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Dredge the steak cubes with flour, thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Lightly coat the skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add steak pieces and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes total cooking time.
- Transfer steak and reserved vegetables to a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Top with stewed tomatoes, chipotle chiles, beef broth, and wine. Stir to combine. Partially cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until steak is tender.
- Stir in peas and cook, covered, until peas are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- If using, sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
|Per serving:||259 calories (22% calories from fat), 32 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 71 g cholesterol, 135 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 lean protein (1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)|