Sneaky Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 medium onion, 6 ounces, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, 4 ounces, grated
- 1 medium rib of celery, 3 ounces, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, 6 ounces, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tablespoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce no salt added Italian-style tomatoes, in puree
- 1 14 1/2-ounce no salt added diced tomatoes, with juice
- ½ cup water
- In a large saucepan, crumble the turkey and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until turkey is white throughout. Drain off all fat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring, until vegetables are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, using the back of a spoon to break up whole tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Note: This sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
|Per serving:||151 calories (7% calories from fat), 21 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.3 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 51 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium|
|Exchanges:||2 very lean meat, 3 vegetable|