Slow Cooker Piquant Chicken
- cooking spray
- 3 ½ pounds frying chicken, cut into 10 pieces, skin removed and discarded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried
- 2 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 packet sugar substitute that will retain sweetness during long cooking
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons currants or raisins
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium heat and add the chicken pieces. Sauté for 5 minutes per side, turning once.
- Put onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Top with browned chicken pieces. Add thyme sprigs.
- In a bowl, combine curry powder, tomatoes, celery flakes, sugar substitute, and white wine vinegar. Pour over chicken pieces. Sprinkle with currants. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve over rice.
|Per serving:||226 calories (31% calories from fat), 29 g protein, 8 g total fat (2.1 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 84 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (2 vegetable)|