Slow-Cooked Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
- 12 large green cabbage leaves
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and minced
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes, including the juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh under running cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain again on paper towels and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey breast, egg substitute, onion, garlic, apple, cooked rice, dill weed, parsley, salt (if using), and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the cabbage leaves on a work surface. Divide the filling equally between the cabbage leaves, putting about 1/4 cup of the turkey-rice mixture at the bottom of each cabbage leaf and roll up, folding in the bottom and sides to enclose the filling. Set filled leaves aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté until onions are limp, about 4 minutes. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients and cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Place half of the sauce in the bottom of a 4-quart or larger crockery slow-cooker. Arrange filled cabbage leaves, seam side down, on top of the sauce, making as many layers as necessary. Spoon the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls. Do not stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
- To serve, transfer cabbage rolls to a large serving platter and top with sauce. Serve at once.
|Per 2-roll serving:||251 calories (14% calories from fat), 27 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.7 g saturated fat), 28 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 64 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 very lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 1/2 fruit), 3 vegetable)|