- 2 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 medium ribs celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can no-salt-added canned tomatoes with juice
- 1 32-ounce jar sauerkraut, drained
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ pound fully-cooked smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 6 pieces
- Put potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in a 5-quart or larger crockery slow cooker. Drain juice and reserve juice from tomatoes. Coarsely chop tomatoes and add to slow cooker. Top with sauerkraut.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine apple juice, reserved tomato juice, caraway seeds, and pepper. Pour over sauerkraut. Do not stir. Top with pieces of turkey kielbasa.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
- To serve, pile sauerkraut and vegetables onto a large platter. Top with pieces of kielbasa. Serve hot.
|Per serving:||282 calories (20% calories from fat), 22 g protein, 10 g total fat (2.9 g saturated fat), 29 g carbohydrates, 7 g dietary fiber, 74 mg cholesterol, 1887 mg sodium*|
|Diabetic exchanges:||3 lean protein, 2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 3 vegetable)|