Roast Turkey with Orange, Lemon, and Fresh Ginger
- 1 lemon (for grated zest and for using in the turkey)
- 1 orange (for grated zest and for using in the turkey)
- 11-pound turkey
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cloves garlic
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, combine zests of lemon and orange, grated ginger, canola oil, lemon juice, orange juice, and brown sugar to form a basting sauce.
- Cut the lemon in half and rub the skin and inside of turkey with the cut side of one half (then you can discard it).
- Put the other lemon half in the turkey cavity, along with half of the orange and the 2 cloves of garlic. Truss the turkey.
- Place the turkey on a rack and roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Stir the basting sauce and brush over the turkey, then tent the turkey with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and continue to roast for 2 hours, basting 3 more times.
- Uncover the turkey, baste again, and continue to roast until an instant meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180°F.
- Transfer to a carving platter and keep warm until ready to carve.
|Per 4-ounce serving:||193 calories (28% calories from fat), 33 g protein, 6 g total fat (1.9 g saturated fat), 0 carbohydrates, 0 dietary fiber, 86 mg cholesterol, 338 mg potassium, 79 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein|