Roast Chicken with Gremolata
- 1 3 pound whole frying chicken
- 2 cups chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 5-inch pieces of fresh rosemary plus extra sprigs for garnish
- ½ cup dry white wine or water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper towels. Using your fingers, carefully loosen the skin over chicken breast, being careful not to puncture the skin.
- In a small bowl, combine parsley, lemon zest, and garlic. Spread this mixture on the chicken between the skin and flesh of the breast. Truss chicken but do not bend wings akimbo. Instead place a rosemary sprig under each wing; tie wings to the body with kitchen string.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour wine into bottom of roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the meat near the thighbone is no longer pink when slashed. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
|Per serving without skin:||169 calories (23% calories from fat), 29 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.1 g saturated fat), 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 93 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 very lean protein|