Pot Roast in Red Wine
- cooking spray
- 3 slices non-fat turkey bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 3-pound beef roast, any kind
- 1 large onion, peeled, stuck with 4 whole cloves
- 2 ounces grated carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound green beans, ends snipped
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add the turkey bacon and sauté until it begins to crisp.
- Add the beef, and brown on all sides.
- Transfer turkey bacon and beef to a 3 1/2-quart or larger crockery slow cooker. Add onion, grated carrot, garlic, wine, bay leaf, thyme, and parsley.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- When beef is almost done, cook potatoes until almost tender (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Add carrots and green beans. Continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain vegetables and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Add the mushrooms and sauté over high heat until they are tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer beef to a carving board and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain to make thin slices.
- Arrange beef slices on a heated serving platter. Discard clove-stuck onion, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Stir cooked vegetables and mushrooms into pan juice of the slow cooker to warm. Spoon the vegetables and pan juices over the beef.
- Season to taste with pepper and serve immediately.
|Per 4-ounce meat serving with vegetables:||352 calories (26% calories from fat), 40 g protein, 10 g total fat (3.3 g saturated fat), 25 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 111 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 lean protein, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)|