Penne with Fresh Vegetables
- cooking spray
- ¾ pound eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- ½ pound zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 6 ounces red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces penne rigate pasta (or another type of pasta, if you want)
- ½ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Line a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Coat with cooking spray. Place the eggplant and zucchini cubes on the foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Broil, turning until the vegetables are browned and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is transparent.
- Add the red pepper and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, eggplant, and zucchini, and then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta as per package directions until cooked al dente. Drain under cold water and place in a large bowl.
- Toss pasta with the vegetables. Stir in the ricotta and basil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
|Per serving:||348 calories (10% calories from fat), 15 g protein, 4 g total fat (1.6 g saturated fat), 65 g carbohydrates, 8 g dietary fiber, 10 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium|
|Diabetic exchanges:||4 1/2 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch, 4 vegetable)|